In 1948, Greensburg, PA residents Carl Ringler and Tom Dix purchased Olympia Candies and moved the business to a brick building across from the Peanut Butter factory located in New Bethlehem, PA. They renamed it after their wives, Charlotte and Valerie. Even though the two men sold the company three years later to Robert Angher, the name Char-Val Candies remained and it still does to this day.
Ownership changed again in 1957 when Doug Kroh bought it and moved the business once again to Route 66 where the Columbia Gas building is currently located.
In 1969, Howard Shreckengost and Bob Orr acquired the business from Doug Kroh. In 1972, they purchased the old bowling alley known as Leasure Lanes to expand the candy business.
Since then, Char-Val has always been a family business. Howard’s late wife, Janet, became the secretary and bookkeeper for the business. She recalled growing up being a child hungry for chocolate and would visit Reinsel’s Drug Store along Broad Street in New Bethlehem. There, she would purchase the little white rabbits never thinking that one day she would be a part of the candy business.